David G. Thurby

David G. Thurby

David G. Thurby, 26, of Fenton is facing three felony DWI charges and three misdemeanor charges for allegedly causing an accident Tuesday night (April 13) in Byrnes Mill that left three people dead, including a 4-month-old boy, court records show.

Those killed in the accident were Lacey K Newton, 25; Cordell S. Williams, 30; and the infant, all of Bonne Terre.

Today (April 14), the Jefferson County Prosecuting Attorney’s Office charged Thurby with three counts of driving while intoxicated, causing the death of another passenger, each one a class B felony; operating a motor vehicle in a careless and imprudent manner involving an accident, a class A misdemeanor; and possession of marijuana and driving without insurance, each one a class D misdemeanor, according to court documents.

If convicted, Thurby could be sentenced to five to 15 years in prison for each felony charge. He also could be sentenced to one year in jail and be fined up to $2,000 for the class A misdemeanor and fined up to $500 for each class D misdemeanor.

Thurby was arrested Tuesday night after the accident, which happened about 10:05 p.m. at Hwy. 30 and Upper Byrnes Mill Road, the Missouri State Highway Patrol reported.

Newton was driving a 2004 Pontiac Grand Prix east on the highway west of Upper Byrnes Mill Road, and Thurby, who was driving an eastbound 2016 Chevrolet Cruze behind her, allegedly failed to keep a proper lookout and struck the Grand Prix from behind. Both cars ran off the right side of the road and struck several trees, according to the report.

The Jefferson County Sheriff’s Office said on its Facebook page that the Grand Prix caught fire and deputies and Byrnes Mill Police officers tried to free the three victims from the burning car.

Newton was wearing a seat belt, and the baby was in an infant car seat. Williams was not wearing a seat belt, the patrol reported.

All three were pronounced dead at the scene, the report said.

Thurby, who was not wearing a seat belt, had minor injuries and was transported by North Jefferson County Ambulance to Mercy Hospital South in south St. Louis County and later taken to the Jefferson County Jail, according to the report.

The Grand Prix and Cruze were totaled, the report said.