The Festus High School theater students are presenting their first play of the 2021-2022 school year, and they tackled a challenge: William Shakespeare's classic "The Twelfth Night."
You would think it would be tough to make Shakespeare's work translate for today's audiences, but here's one synopsis of the plot: "It's a play about desire’s power to override conventions of class, religion and even gender. Several characters begin the play believing they want one thing, only to have love teach them they actually want something else."
A cast of performers, mostly with only a couple of acting credits to their resumes, if that, pull off the emotion, wordplay, physical comedy and twists to the unexpected, all Shakespearean trademarks.
One of the play's classic lines: “Be not afraid of greatness. Some are born great, some achieve greatness, and others have greatness thrust upon them.”
The Festus production opened Thursday (Nov. 11) and continues at 7 p.m. Friday (Nov. 12) and Saturday (Nov. 13) at Festus High School, 501 Westwind Drive. Tickets are $5.
These photos are from a dress rehearsal.
Photos by Steve Taylor
Featured Classified Ads
Success! An email has been sent to with a link to confirm list signup.
Error! There was an error processing your request.
- Worth announces run for Jefferson County Collector
- Limo services van stolen from Arnold-area lot
- 24 truck wheels stolen from Eureka auto repair business
- High Ridge woman, Gray Summit man hurt in crash in House Springs
- When dust clears, we still have a lot to be thankful for
- Nov. 28 marks last service for old-time Fletcher church
- Hendrickson to give it another try
- County sees eight additional COVID-19 deaths
- New restaurant owner wants to continue Wesley Roger Griffith’s legacy
- Murder reported at Crystal City residential-care facility
- UPDATE: Kirkwood Police officer injured in crash after a 25-year-old Festus man sideswiped a police SUV and then hit a big rig on I-44.
- Eureka Police arrest St. Charles woman for allegedly driving under influence of drugs
- Festus man arrested following accident that left him and three others hurt
- Police allegedly find stolen ATV, UTV at Arnold home
- De Soto woman, fellow MoDOT employee die after being hit by car
- Imperial man suspected of stealing trailer in Pevely, other items in Arnold
- Bonne Terre man hurt in crash south of Festus
- Mayer family donates building to De Soto