Sierra Rubymae Ward-Micke, 17, De Soto

Sierra Rubymae Ward-Micke, 17, De Soto

A driver involved in an early-morning accident that killed a 17-year-old De Soto girl has been charged with first-degree involuntary manslaughter, court records show.

La’Javion D. Ramsey, 26, of East St. Louis, Ill., was allegedly driving at least 20 miles over the speed limit before crashing into a pickup at about 2:30 a.m. Aug. 17, 2020, at the intersection of Washington Avenue and 10th Street in St. Louis, charging documents said.

Sierra Rubymae Ward-Micke, 17, of De Soto was thrown from the bed of a pickup that was struck by a car. She was pronounced dead at the scene, St. Louis Police reported at the time of the accident.

Ramsey was not in custody when the charge was filed Tuesday (July 20) by the St. Louis Prosecuting Attorney’s Office, according to court documents. A lawyer is not listed for Ramsey.

Ramsey could be sentenced to three to 10 years in prison for the class C felony charge.

Ramsey was driving a 2014 Dodge Charger at a high rate of speed east on Washington Avenue when he allegedly ran a red light at 10th Street and struck the back right side of a 1998 Chevrolet Silverado pickup, the accident report said.

Ward-Micke was riding in the bed of the pickup with three other people – two 20-year-old men and a 17-year-old woman – who also were thrown from the bed of the truck. The two men and woman were taken to an area hospital, according to the report.

A 17-year-old man who was driving the pickup and a 17-year-old woman who was a passenger in the pickup were not injured in the accident, and Ramsey also was not injured, police reported.

Ramsey was sued in December 2020 in federal court by Esurance Insurance Services for allegedly trying to obtain an insurance policy 14 hours after the crash and filing a claim for coverage, federal court papers show.

In the suite, Ramsey claimed he became nervous when he saw numerous people gathered on the Washington Avenue, in an area with many night clubs, and he believed he saw someone with a gun. He said in the suit that he had been shot in St. Louis before, and he panicked when he thought he saw a gun and wanted to get home.

Ramsey claims he was traveling between 40 and 50 mph on Washington Avenue when he crossed a yellow light at 10 Street and the pickup pulled in front of him, the suit said.