scales new.jpg

Glenn Hillam, 52, of Eureka has been charged with five felonies following a standoff with police Thursday (Feb. 18) at a home on Currier and Ives Drive off Forby Road in Eureka, court records show.

He was arrested after a domestic dispute and an hours-long standoff Thursday night. Shots were fired during the incident but no one was injured, according to Eureka Police.

Eureka Police said in a Facebook post that officers were called at about 3:20 p.m. for a report of domestic violence. Officers were told a man was inside the home holding a gun and arguing with a woman, the report said.

When officers arrived, they heard a gunshot, and several adults ran out of the home. Officers were told two children were still inside the house, the post said.

Two officers went into the home and got the children out. While the officers were inside the house, they heard another gunshot in a back bedroom where Hillam and a woman were, Eureka Police reported.

The woman came out of the room and left the home, but Hillam refused to come out. A St. Louis County Police Tactical Operations Unit was called to assist because he barricaded himself inside the home, the post said.

After several hours of negotiations, Hillam surrendered at about 10 p.m. and was arrested, Eureka Police reported.

The department said in its post that police had been called to the home in the past for reports of domestic violence.

Hillam was charged today (Feb. 19) with first-degree domestic assault, a class B felony; second-degree kidnapping, a class D felony; first-degree endangering the welfare of a child creating a substantial risk, a class D felony; resisting arrest, a class E felony; and armed criminal action, an unclassified felony, according to court documents.

A class B felony carries a penalty of five to 15 years in prison. A class D felony is punishable by up to seven years in prison, and a class E felony carries a penalty of up to four years in prison. An armed criminal action charge is punishable by three to 15 years in prison.

Hillam was being held at an area hospital under Eureka Police custody, Lt. Michael Werges said today.

He is being held without bond, court records show.