Firefighters were called to the La Quinta hotel in Festus, which was evacuated after a dryer caught fire.

Firefighters were called to the La Quinta hotel in Festus, which was evacuated Monday night after a dryer caught fire.

The La Quinta hotel, 1001 Veterans Blvd., in Festus was evacuated Monday night (April 13) after a dryer in a laundry room caught fire. There were no injuries, said Chuck Boyer, assistant chief for the Festus Fire Department.

“We got the call about 9:50 p.m., and when our first truck arrived, there was smoke seen coming from the roof of the building,” Boyer said. “There were 10 rooms with 12 people evacuated, plus two workers.”

He said it is not known what caused the dryer to catch fire.

“The dryer was totaled,” Boyer said. “The laundry room got most of the damage from smoke and heat. The building itself did not sustain damage. It smelled like smoke in the building. The smoke went up (to the roof) through the vents.”

He said firefighters remained on the scene for about two hours.

Boyer said guests were allowed to return to the hotel Monday night, but not necessarily to the same rooms where they had been staying.

“We did move all of them to the first floor,” he said. “The only issue is that’s their only dryer. They’ll need to replace the dryer for when they wash their linens.”

The Crystal City and De Soto fire departments and the Hematite, Jefferson

R-7, Herculaneum, Dunklin, Mapaville, De Soto Rural and Hillsboro fire protection districts helped with the call.

Boyer said the other departments and districts were called to assist because at first firefighters didn’t know how large the evacuation would be.

“We did not know how many people were in the hotel,” he said.

0
0
0
0
0

Locations