Cartez McKire Jr.

Cartez McKire Jr.

Cartez McKire Jr., 30, of High Ridge has been charged with two felonies for allegedly shooting and killing Dominic Williams-Wood, 17, of Fenton on Friday night (Sept. 4) near a home in the 2500 block of Woburn Drive in High Ridge, authorities reported.

McKire, who has previous felony convictions, was charged Saturday (Sept. 5) with second-degree murder and armed criminal action for allegedly killing Williams-Wood. McKire was being held without bond in the Jefferson County Jail, Jefferson County Prosecuting Trisha Stefanski said today (Sept 6).

The incident began just before 11 p.m. after Williams-Wood reportedly got in an argument with a man related to McKire at a Steak ’N Shake restaurant in Fenton and followed the man and a woman from the restaurant to the High Ridge subdivision. Williams-Wood was driving an Oldsmobile, and two other men were in the car with him, the Jefferson County Sheriff's Office reported.

At 11 p.m. Friday, the Sheriff’s Office got a call about shots being fired and two people running from the area around Sommerville Drive and Woburn Drive in High Ridge. When investigators arrived, they found Williams-Wood slumped in the Oldsmobile, which had traveled off Woburn Drive and crashed into a fence, the report said.

Williams-Wood was pronounced dead at the scene, the Sheriff’s Office reported.

The two men who had been in the Oldsmobile with Williams-Wood told deputies they had been getting food at the Steak ’N Shake drive-thru earlier that night and Williams-Wood allegedly was “harassing and flirting” with a woman serving them. During the exchange, the woman’s boyfriend – the man related to McKire – arrived at the restaurant in a Honda van. Williams-Wood and the employee’s boyfriend reportedly got into an argument, and “challenges to fight each other were discussed,” the probable-cause statement in the case said.

The woman got into the van with her boyfriend, and he drove the van away from the restaurant. Williams-Wood allegedly followed the van, and the occupants of the car and van continued to yell at each other as they drove through Fenton, the report said.

The van pulled into a driveway at a home in the 2500 block of Woburn Drive, and the Oldsmobile stopped on the road in front of the home. McKire allegedly was waiting outside the home when the van and car pulled up, and he allegedly fired two to three gunshots at the car. Three .380-caliber shells were found on Woburn Drive, the Sheriff’s Office reported.

Williams-Wood started to drive away from the home as McKire allegedly continued to shoot at the car. Williams-Wood told the two passengers he had been shot and crashed the car into a fence a short time later, the report said.

The two men with Williams-Wood ran from the car, and later told deputies “they feared the shooter was still after them,” the probable-cause statement said.

Witnesses told police they saw the van following after the fleeing Oldsmobile. However, after the car crashed and authorities arrived, the van stopped, the headlights were turned off and it was backed up to the home on Woburn Drive, the report said.

Deputies located the van outside the home on Woburn Drive, but the occupants did not respond to authorities at the door. A search warrant was secured and deputies were allowed into the home after about 20 minutes, the probable-cause statement said.

A man in the home told authorities he had picked up his girlfriend at Steak ’N Shake a little before 11 p.m. and told Williams-Wood to “stop harassing his girlfriend.” He said after leaving the restaurant, he called McKire and told him the Oldsmobile was following him. The man said he did not call 911, according to the report.

The man who had been driving the van said when he and his girlfriend arrived at the home on Woburn Drive, McKire was outside and allegedly fired multiple shots at the Oldsmobile before the car drove away, the report said.

No one else was injured in the shooting, and McKire was arrested, the Sheriff’s Office said.

“This was a preventable tragedy on so many different levels, but a series of bad decisions by multiple people has resulted in a loss of life, and lives changed forever,” Sheriff Dave Marshak said.

McKire was charged with second-degree murder, a class A felony punishable by 10 to 30 years or life in prison, and armed criminal action, an unclassified felony that carries a penalty of at least 10 years in prison if the accused is convicted of the offense three or more times, Stefanski said today (Sept. 6).

In May 2009, McKire pleaded guilty to first-degree robbery, first-degree assault and two counts of armed criminal action in St. Louis. He was sentenced to 12 years for robbery, seven years for assault and three years each for armed criminal action. The sentences ran concurrently, or at the same time, court records said.

The Sheriff’s Office continues to investigate Friday's fatal shooting and asks anyone with information to call the detective bureau at 636-797-5515.