handcuffs and police lights.jpg

Eureka Police arrested a 38-year-old St. Louis man for suspicion of DWI after he allegedly registered more than double the legal limit for blood-alcohol content. The man allegedly was found with a firearm, which was illegal since he had been convicted of a prior felony, authorities reported.

The arrest happened at 4:12 a.m. Oct. 21 after an officer spotted a 2014 Nissan Altima driving west on I-44 without its headlights on and struggling to maintain a single lane. The officer was traveling east on the interstate at the time and headed over to the eastbound lanes to pull over the car just west of the Hwy. 109 exit, the report said.

The Altima’s left rear tire had come off its rim, and the car was traveling at about 30 mph when it was pulled over. When the officer approached the car, the man initially wouldn’t roll down the driver’s-side window, and when he did, the officer allegedly detected a strong odor of alcohol, according to the report.

When the officer asked the driver where he was going and if he knew where he was, the St. Louis man allegedly said he was going home and that he was on the East Side. The driver also allegedly said he had to get a female passenger to where she needed to be, the report said.

When the driver was asked why he was driving without a tire, he allegedly said the car was driving fine and didn’t notice the tire was missing, according to the report.

Then, when the man got out of the car, the officer noticed a metal object in his front pocket, which turned out to be a .22-caliber Phoenix Arms pistol. There was also a glass bottle of alcohol on the driver’s seat, the report said.

The man was arrested, and he and the woman were transported to the Police Station. The Altima was towed from the scene, according to the report.

At the station, the man allegedly registered a .203 blood-alcohol content, according to the report. In Missouri, .08 percent is the legal limit.

He had no prior DWI arrests or other convictions. However, the man previously had been convicted of first-degree felony robbery and was not allowed to possess a weapon, the report said.

He was later released, and Eureka Police will seek a charge against the man through the St. Louis County Prosecuting Attorney’s Office for illegal possession of a firearm, as well as charges through the Eureka Municipal Court for DWI, failure to operate a vehicle with headlights and failure to drive in a single lane, Capt. David Wilson said.