This home on Browns Ford Road in Dittmer was damaged by a fire that may have been caused by an animal chewing on wiring.

This home on Browns Ford Road in Dittmer was damaged by a fire that may have been caused by an animal chewing on wiring.

It looks like a fire last week at a home in the 7400 block of Browns Ford Road in Dittmer may have been caused by an animal biting through wiring, De Soto Rural Fire Protection District Chief Tom Fitzgerald reported.

He said some family members were at the home when the fire broke out and they got out uninjured.

De Soto Rural Fire got a call at 4:05 p.m. Sept. 4 about the blaze.

“It was a fire in the attic space at the rear section of the house,” Fitzgerald said. “It did burn through the roof area. Firefighters had the fire knocked down in about 15 minutes. We remained on scene for a couple hours.

The cause of the fire appears to be in the wiring, Fitzgerald said.

“We don’t know if a rodent had chewed through,” he said. “There looked to be some nesting in the attic. It could be rodent nesting.”

The family cannot live in the home until repairs are made, Fitzgerald said.

“It’s not a total loss by any means,” he said. “They’ll need to stay someplace else until it’s repaired.”

The Hillsboro, Cedar Hill and St. Clair fire districts and the Valle Ambulance District helped with the call.

0
0
0
0
0

Locations