Sheriff's Office badge, new

Kelly D. Eberhardt, 49, of Cedar Hill was the woman killed Saturday in an apparent murder-suicide in Cedar Hill, the Jefferson County Sheriff’s Office reported.

The man who is believed to have killed her before shooting and killing himself is Jeffrey J. Bauer, 57, of Cedar Hill, according to the report.

The two were neighbors and had an ongoing dispute over a property line, authorities reported.

Eberhardt reportedly was found shot and burned outside her home, which was set on fire.

After authorities searched nearby woods, they found Bauer from what appeared to be self-inflicted gunshots.

Grant Bissell, a spokesman for the Sheriff’s Office, said the two could not be positively identified until a Medical Examiner’s report was completed, and the Sheriff’s Office identified them this afternoon (July 3).

Bissell said the incident began about 7:05 a.m. at the U-Gas convenience store at Hwy. 30 and Hwy. NN.

“We received a call from the Missouri State Highway Patrol that one vehicle had crashed into the driver’s side of a pickup truck,” Bissell said.

He said the driver of the unknown vehicle got out of his car and approached the man who was driving the pickup.

“It was a case of mistaken identity,” Bissell said. “The man told the driver of the pickup words to the effect that he (mistakenly) believed that he was his neighbor.”

Bissell said the man then drove off west on Hwy. NN.

“The second driver (of the pickup) had no idea what was going on. He was not injured. We don’t know if anyone else was in the truck with him. His truck was pretty smashed up and had to be towed away.”

Bissell said at about 8:30 a.m., the Sheriff’s Office received a call about a disturbance going on at Krshul Road close to Hwy. NN, about 5 miles west of Hwy. 30.

“The call was for a disturbance with possible shots fired,” he said. “The deputy responding to the scene first found a house engulfed in flames and saw a woman who appeared to be deceased near the home.”

Bissell said the deputy could not get any closer to the woman’s body because of the heat and intensity of the flames.

“The deputy said she definitely appeared to be deceased at that point, and her body was very burned,” Bissell said.

Firefighters arrived at the scene and extinguished the blaze, Bissell said.

“Officers spoke with the witness (who called 911 to report the disturbance) and his description matched that of the man who drove off from the gas station,” Bissell said.

The Sheriff’s Office’s Special Weapons and Tactics (SWAT) team was called out and began a search of the nearby woods.

Bissell said at about 11 a.m., the man’s body was found in the woods about 100 yards from a home on the opposite side of Krshul Road from the house that burned.

“It was determined that the man died of self-inflicted gunshot wounds,” Bissell said. “There was no use of force by any of our officers.”

Bissell said interviews with neighbors indicated that the bad blood between the parties was likely caused by a disagreement over a property line.